Well, I apparently killed Windows Developer Network Magazine. Or is it just coincidence that the issue that included my tech-tip was the last one they’ve distributed? The subscribers have received no notice that anything is amiss, but their front page hasn’t changed since December, and no issues have arrived on my doorstep since then either. I didn’t realize my writing was that bad…
In similar news, my article about wrapping the Win32 horizontal and vertical rule controls in .NET control classes has been republished at the MSDN Academic Alliance site. I’m not sure how long that link will stay valid — I got the impression that you have to be a member for MSDNAA in order to access most of their content.
I am of mixed feelings about the move of college CS programs to teach students using Microsoft systems rather than Unix, but taking the existence of Microsoft’s academic alliance program as a given, my .NET articles certainly seem to fit in there.
(TODO: Remember not to mention secret plot to destroy Microsoft by having them publish my writing just like I did Windows Developer Magazine.)
It’s been nearly a year since I put this page up on my underutilized server with the promise of release of the Covidimus.NET libraries. It’s still coming someday. What I didn’t know last April was that within a month I would be interviewing for a new job — the original plan was to continue calling myself a full time student with a part time job for a good bit longer. But men make plans primarily for the amusement of God…
In the past year, I’ve gotten married, bought a house, got a real job, nearly completed my Master’s work (CS), and more or less completed the transformation from student to wage-slave…I mean laborer. (Not that I’m complaining about my job, but it can’t compete with the contract work I was doing before, working on my own schedule from home).
The future of Covidimus.Mail is still uncertain. There are other mail packages available for .NET now, and between GCJ, J#, the Microsoft Java Class File Converter and IKVM, there are multiple ways to use JavaMail from .NET (though the legality of some of those ways may be questionable). Nontheless, I still plan to complete Covidimus.Mail at some point. There is no such thing as The One True Mail Package. Choice is a good thing…
One other note. I had an interesting time recently porting some code from J++ to J#. I learned a lot of things, maybe enough to fill a future article. For now, suffice it to say that if you want to run some Java code in .NET, you can probably do it, but you’d better have a steel will, a decompiler and a lot of time on hand.
The December Issue of Windows Developer Network Magazine is out and my Tech Tip made it to publication. Woo hoo! World domination is within reach – I can feel it.
Earlier this month, I posted a new article to CodeProject. It’s at http://www.codeproject.com/cs/miscctrl/hvrules1.asp. I didn’t announce it here earlier because I was busy getting married and going on my honeymoon
I’m also scheduled to have a small article (really just a technical tip) published in a computer industry magazine in the next few months. I won’t announce the name of the magazine until I actually have a copy of the issue with my article in my hands because any number of things could go wrong between now and then – cest la vie.
I installed mono on Athene (this box) today, along with the mod_mono Apache module that uses mono to provide an ASP.Net implementation for Linux (and other platforms, of course). I’ve become a pretty die-hard .NET convert recently, but I’m far from a Microsoft convert, so .NET on Linux sounds pretty good to me. You can check out the default test site that the RPM installed here. Unfortunately, it turns out to be pretty slow. And by pretty slow, I mean the mind-altering-pain kind of slow. I don’t know if that’s a problem with mod_mono, mono in general, or Athene. Athene has always been disapointingly slow for as fast a processor as she has, so maybe mod_mono is not entirely to blame here.
– Addendum – August 17 – I recieved a mail several weeks ago from Fabian Schulz with a suggestion for how to get a 10x speedup. A new full-time
job (while I continue to do software support for my previous full-time job, and take classes) prevents me from playing with it right now, but
here’s what he suggested, for those who would be foolish enough to take what I print here seriously:
Did you find a solution to make mod_mono run faster?
If not: A little speed-up is, to run the XSP-Server on some port and have Apache ProxyPassing there. This is about 10x as fast as mod_mono, on my server.
I shall try that one of these days. This is probably a 2-minute task, but I know essentially nothing about Apache configuration right now, so I’m not able to identify whether it’s a quick thing to do or not.
If you search for “tee stream .net” or “echo stream .net” on Google right now, my Code Project article is the very first hit. If you drop the .NET, I’m still on the first page of results. I’m officially the unofficial expert on tee and echo streams in .NET now according to Google. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy 😉
I posted an article about my EchoStream class on CodeProject this week. You can get the code and the article there. I will eventually post it here as well, when I have time to really get this site going again.